Friday 9 March 2012





First. Post. Introduction.

And so here we are. March 2012, a year after I ventured into the bush of South Africa ‘professionally’ for the first time. Boy how my life has changed.
Let’s get a bit of background on this…

March 2011 brought me back to Southern Africa, where I had grown up as a child before we moved to New Zealand in 1998. I spent my time divided between Pretoria and Johannesburg, where my family lived, Hoedspruit, where my partner was staying, and Pilanesberg National Park, where I was undertaking an internship with Game Trackers, a safari company, as part of my degree in communication. Going into the African bush, this was the beginning of the realization of one of my life long endeavors; To spend my life conserving South African nature.

My time at Pilanesberg was one of the most memorable moments of my entire life. I spent every day next to a very educated Game ranger, became practically educated about nature on numerous safaris everyday, had encounters with the famous Big Five, had encounters with lesser known but just as special creatures, met and learned from amazing people, rode elephants, learned how to shoot, and took a hot air balloon across the park. It is one of the most breathtaking places on this Earth, and so close to where the Human species evolved. An absolute must visit for anyone interested in nature, or a general South African bush experience.

Within my first week I was lucky enough to meet Ken Whyte, a man who was managing a game farm owned by his Father in Hoedspruit. A month later we had started dating, and less than three months later, I had briefly returned back to New Zealand, returned to South Africa, and had moved in with him.

So, here I am. This is where I have been hiding out. The beauty of this farm is beyond anything else I have ever witnessed. I think that the bush really has a special way of healing, of replenishing, of giving you exactly what you need without you even realizing it. 

Currently balancing my final semester of my Communication degree, my first registered studies to become a qualified Game Ranger and the millions of tasks living here involves, I look forward to sharing it all with you. If you enjoy animals, conservation, a different take on life, or anything nature related, then a big WELCOME to you. I'm in the process of creating an accompanying YouTube channel so I can show you guys what goes on! A couple of vids on so far, many more to come. You can check it out here.

At the moment, Hoedspruit is slowly recovering from the floods that devastated the town and surrounding bush in January. We got off alot luckier than some of our friends who lost their entire homes, lodges, and income, but we are suffering none the less. Fences need to be fixed, roads repaired, and so on.Two days ago, two Honey Badgers arrived on the farm from the Animal Rehabilitation centre next door to us. They are currently in their temporary enclosure, with release in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, Ken and I get to look after them and feed them everyday. The Elephant are causing ruckus on the farm, scaring away staff and smashing down trees - what they do best, but I love them to bits. The lions have shown up, and the Wild Dogs have escaped to a nearby town. Poaching is, and always will be, a constant concern. Ah, life in the Bush...:)

This blog is going to be about my journey here. About the good, the bad, and the ugly of living full time in the African Bush. Come with Ken & I as we give you a behind the scenes look at exactly what it takes. I look forward to showing you my World :)






No comments:

Post a Comment